When the subject of glass scratch removal/repair comes up, most people think
somewhere along the lines of the following:
“If you can feel the scratch with your fingernail (or your fingernail gets hung up in the scratch), it’s too deep to polish out.”
“Glass scratch removal will make the glass distorted and wavy looking.”
“The scratches are mostly gone but now the glass looks hazy, lacks it’s original luster, and when I look up into the light, there are swirls everywhere!”
These statements were both fairly accurate up until a few years ago. Now, there are many new companies that have acquired some ingenious new tools designed to remove scratches from glass. However, just as possessing even the finest golf clubs does not necessarily make one a great golfer, neither does a person with the best glass scratch removal equipment possess the skill to flawlessly remove scratches from your glass windows or doors, restoring your view to the outdoors. Here are five things to look for when seeking a company that claims they can fix scratched glass.
1) How long have they been working on glass? There is no substitute for time and experience. Always find the glass repair company with the most experience in the field. It’s one thing to go thru a day or two of training and quite another to have real “in the field” experience. So ask them how long have they been working on glass scratch removal. There is a new “glass fix” US company that makes all kinds of claims of performing jobs all over the world. 100% lie! Check their track record. CALL their references! This one company actually told me their testimonials are fake but they have them for tricking google and the search engines. Very unethical company, regardless of how good their marketing is. There is no substitute for experience.
2) Have they ever performed this specific type of glass restoration? There are many different types of glass, both in strength and hardness, tempered and annealed, laminated, etc. If they seem to be stressing that the glass might break or it may have some distortion, quickly send them on their way and do not let them “experiment on your expensive windows!
3) Ask them if you, the client can pick out an area that you would like to see a demo of their work. Most glass scratch removal companies will look for a few tricks to make their demo appear better than it really is. Make sure the area gets sun at about a 60 degree angle or else some overhead lighting by the scratched area. This will show up any incomplete polishing, a common problem with most glass scratch companies. Also, find the heaviest scratches to really see if they are worth hiring. And dismiss them if they tell you it’s impossible to remove scratches that are within an inch of the edge of the frame. Also a sign of an unqualified scratched glass guy!
4) Ask to see not only written referrals but also actual pictures of them or their company actually working on specific glass scratch removal projects. Another trick some companies are using is to post different types of repairs, such as, sliding door glass resurfacing or conference table resurfacing or claiming they can flawlessly restore doors or windows with an amazing view without leaving distortion, swirls or haze, yet they have never performed this even one time! Sounds outrageous? We have seen it many times.
5) Ask them if they can guarantee not only no distortion, but can they guarantee “no haze, no swirls and no distortion” under all lighting conditions and also from all angles. You never know when you may be looking out your window or from where so the glass scratch removal must be perfect from all possible views. Sadly many cannot deliver or will again make some excuses such as, “that’s the best that it’s going to look”. If you hear anything like these words, send them away, quickly! And please make sure they will guarantee to REPLACE the window if they cause noticeable distortion. We have seen a company from Orange County, Dana Point, California actually RUIN a window with distortion and REFUSED to replace the $3000.00 piece of glass. Please call us for the name of the company, although they change their name often. We have cleaned up a handful of their jobs already.
There are other probing questions you can ask a glass scratch removal company but these are good to start with to determine if you truly have found a glass restoration service that will make your glass look like it did before it was ever scratched. Expect flawless glass scratch removal because it is definitely attainable.
“When Your View Matters – Call Unscratch the Surface, Inc”
- Tampa Florida Custom Home – 400 sq ft Scratched Glass Restoration
- Malwarebytes New Office Glass Scratch Repairs – San Jose California
- San Luis Obispo CA – Apple Store Glass Scratch Repair
- Yonkers, NY Apple Store – 1000 sq ft Glass Curtain Wall Scratch Removal
- Bvlgari Store Display Windows – Glass Scratch Removal – Orange County CA